Built in 1830, 24 Hallstile Bank started life as Hexham’s first Ranter’s Chapel.
The Ranters, named for their impassioned preaching, broke away from the Wesleyan Methodists around 1810 and set up their own style of worship. In 1822 travelling Ranter preachers arrived in orthodox Hexham. They preached on Battle Hill which was crowded with “many stout-hearted sinners”. And in spite of “bricks and stones being often thrown by the ungodly, many souls were turned to the Lord”.
The chapel occupied both No. 24 and No. 26 and still retains the original dual entrance through which men and women worshippers could enter separately.